Summertime memories from working outside in the sunshine and remaking an old mens silk shirt. The reason why I actually started this project was that I did not have a matching top to go with my new striped jersey skirt…I needed something in black but still summerish and with a classic twist.
The silk shirt I used was long sleeved mens shirt.
First I cut out both the collar and sleeves. I boldly made some fringes to the hem which I gave a rough treatment…ripping the raw edges of the silk makes the silhouette more flowing and not so boxy. Maybe I still uppgrade this “black canvas” with more details, like this designer does!
Bought Susan Briscoes book Japanese quilt blocks to mix & match from a craft fair in Finland few years ago and the amount of inspiration it`s given me! This denim bag started from the idea to have just one big quilt block instead of several small ones and the pattern is called Kurume kasuri goku masu- five squares.
Struggled a bit with the scale but finally got it right!
Super happy with the end result! All denim used are from old jeans, shoulder strap is old leather belt and the lining is made out of old skirt. So again 100% recycled!
Photoshoot took place in Stockholm Sweden (Södermalm). The concrete wall with the nice little artsy window was perfect background for my outfit.
This pattern from a 90s Finnish fashion and sewing magazine Muoti+Kauneus I have used over and over again.
Shirt is easy to sew and by using overlocker to finish the hem makes the fabric fall down in more natural way than using a straight stitch. Black and white checked fabric I found second hand for only 3€.
Remodelling and altering old t-shirts is always better option than buy a new one. Material is easy to find cause second hand stores are piled up with t-shirts, some of which has never even been used. I found my golden Adidas t-shirt years ago and never quite liked the boxy shape so it just waited for the perfect idea how to remodel it. And when I found a piece of black stretchy velour (from second hand store)…I knew what to do.
Idea was to cut off the sleeves and replace them with raglan ones from velour fabric. First I needed to figure out the cutline and the best way to do this is with the help of my mannequin torso. I draw the lines on the shirt and then just cut away the sleeves.
Using the old sleeve as a pattern I cut the new one from the velour and added lenght to the sleeve.
And the outcome is perfect and totally wearable.